This is definitely not an acceptable way to treat your developer
audience. How would google developers like it if HTC shipped the N1 to
customers directly without the OS, and expected Google to ship the OS
to the customer, without ever having seen the device beforehand?
Granted there is a world of difference in complexity, but that is what
this amounts to.

As time goes by, and customer bases for our applications grow into the
thousands, it is suicidal for developers to expect to have their apps
"simply work" on new and radically different platforms. While i agree
that the quality and the backward compat of the SDK releases are quite
good, remember, it is the developer who gets knifed in the belly by
paying customers when a phone is released with an SDK he/she has never
seen, and issues arise.

I have already received a significant number of emails from existing
customers asking if our app will run on the N1 and it is a shame to
admit we have never seen it, and to ask the customer to do the first
ever hands on test and report back.

I hope you do better next time, but wouldn't be surprised if you
don't.
-goutham