afaik michael's image are the most functional and fastest.
as for me only the volume of my speaker and mic during calls was too low.
you can also try the koolu images here: http://www.koolu.org/releases/
but there has been now activity from koolu's team on the freerunner (as also
discussed on this mailing list).
tom