Niels Heyvaert wrote:

If we want maximum user base we should have a forum. On the other hand
this will draw our very limited resources. I know I could administrate
and moderate a forum with a few 100 posts a week myself I have done this
before. I could also host it. On the other hand this will reduce the
chance that I can put effort into testing and things like that.

And the latter is of greater added value at this stage, given the size of the
group.

The really big risk as I see it is that the "real" developer types here
goes and read the forum and spends time there instead of developing. Now
I think this can be reduced if we make sure to have a group on the forum
making sure that normal questions get answers and any important
information gets forwarded to email lists, bugtracker and things like
that. Basically it would be android-freerunner-users on forum and devs
and such on emaillist.

Yup, but than who decides what is "escalated" to the dev-list and on what
ground?

But I'm not convinced either way really, if there where quite some
traffic on the forum before maybe that is a good argument for having
one that works good again?

So what do you people think is it worth it?

The problem with the current Koolu forum is the time Harry Mutch is investing
in it to keep it clean. He could be doing more useful things. I'm just not
convinced of the added value of a forum at this stage ( if the mailings are
searchable).

My only counter argument here is that a working forum should not need so much cleaning, I would say the reason this is a problem at all is because koolu haven't keep the software updated and things like that. If all forums on the webb required manual moderation of every post no one would use them. I would say that a emaillist and a forum requires the same lvl off moderation if it's the same type of users. =)

The same problem is beginning to happen to this emaillist where now some spam is getting in.

Now still it is not that I say that I'm convinced either way, I just don't think we should rule out a forum because of one broken installation.

larlin

Niels.