Since Jon and Evan opened the door to a discussion of GMOs, I like to weigh in
with a minority opinion on GMOs and some of my rationale for adopting a
minority perspective. (Be forewarned that this is a rather long post!)

I fully understand that many (perhaps the vast majority) of apple growers are
opposed to Arctic Apple and the introduction of GMOs into the apple industry.
I suspect that at least some of the opposition stems from the public relations
disaster created by the Alar scare that occurred almost 25 years ago.  We
certainly don’t need another event like that!  But I also think it would be
wise to avoid painting the industry into a corner.

I would like to suggest that the apple industry might actually benefit from
introduction of more GMOs IF, and this is a big one, IF that approval was
accompanied by legislation requiring that all foods containing GMO had to be
labeled as such.  The food industry (and to my surprise, many university folks)
are fighting GMO labeling by saying stupid things such as “We know GMOs are
safe” and “It’s the same as a fast-track system of conventional plant
breeding.”  Those arguments may be correct (at least for most GMOs), but they
will not carry any weight with the fear-mongering media or the GMO-phobic
public. (And by the way, when did universities start saying “We really don’t
want people to know facts!”?)  However, if all products in the grocery stores
had to carry GMO labeling, those who are petrified of GMOs could buy the
relatively small number of higher-priced processed products that would be
labeled as GMO-free, whereas most folks would ignore the labels and buy the
same products that they always bought.  Eventually, society would react to
GMO-labeled foods the same way that most of us react to food labels that warn
“This product was processed on a line that also processes nuts and therefore
may not be free of peanuts.”  If you are allergic to peanuts, you avoid those
products, but the majority of us ignore the label because we are not allergic
to peanuts.  GMO labeling would allow those who are psychologically allergic to
GMOs to adjust their purchases accordingly whereas most folks would say, as
they do with high-fat and/or high-salt food, “Well, it hasn’t killed me yet!”
In other words, GMO labeling would defuse the issue and take the heated
arguments off of the table.  Most folks are already eating GMOs and just don’t
know it:  let’s give them the truth and then allows the free markets to adjust
accordingly.

The upside to GMO labeling would be that those fearing GMOs would be forced or
encouraged to move away from processed foods to more fresh fruits and
vegetables, most of which are NOT GMOs, and we might actually see more apple
consumption.  This approach is apparently already paying off for FirstFruits
Marketing of Selah, WA where folks had the foresight to  label their new
proprietary yellow ‘Opal’ apple as a non-GMO apple (see:
http://www.goodfruit.com/opal-apple-verified-as-non-gmo/ ).

Following is my enumeration of reasons that the apple industry should not be
overly vocal in opposing GMOs and/or should even embrace GMOs so long as they
are labeled as such:
   1.  As noted above, most apples are NOT GMOs.  In the short term the
industry should be able to use that as a marketing advantage, at least for the
GMO-phobes.  If all GMOs were labeled, then apples other than Arctic Apples
(at least under current conditions) would stand out as being OK for everyone.
   2.  At some point in the future, the survival of the apple industry might
depend on a GMO solution.  That situation already exists with the citrus
industry in Florida where the disease known as huanglongbin or citrus greening
is wiping out the industry. (For one recent report, see
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/04/us/for-florida-grapefruit-one-blow-after-another.html
 ).  Gene jockeys have come up with a GMO solution to citrus greening (although
it still needs more testing), but the citrus industry is scared to death of
GMOs.  And that fear of GMOs may literally be the death of the Florida citrus
industry because right now there are no other viable solutions on the horizon.
At the moment, we don’t need GMO apples, but who knows what might happen if
some foreign pest is introduced in the future?
    3.  I would argue that the tide of change will inexorably push the public
into accepting GMOs, just as it is now proving politically unpopular to oppose
gay marriage whereas 15 years ago few politicians would have touched the
subject.  As I implied above, although the public does not realize it, most of
the corn, soybeans, and papaya in our markets are already genetically
engineered.  (As noted at
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2014/04/a-civil-debate-over-genetically-modified-food.html?mobify=0
 , "Seventy per cent of processed foods now have at least one genetically
engineered ingredient.”) I think the apple industry should be careful not to
get locked in on the wrong side of the volatile GMO issue because eventually
either public perception will accept reality or a lot of folks are going to get
very hungry.
   4.  Buying into the anti-GMO phobia suggests that the industry accepts and
condones the anti-science nonsense of the anti-GMO crowd. If we abandon
science, where does the debate and the list of demands ever end?  My wife just
pointed out that there is currently an on-line outrage against one of the NY
manufacturers of Greek yogurt, which is one of the recent hot items for
foodies, because, while the product is labeled “all natural”, someone
discovered that the cows producing the milk used to make the yogurt are fed GMO
grains.  OUTRAGE:  how can the yogurt be all-natural if the cows eat GMO grains
!!??  Does the apple industry really want to be tied to folks with these kinds
of phobias?

In conclusion, I realize that the apple industry may not wish to promote GMOs
and that the vagaries of the market and public opinion require careful
consideration of how apples are promoted and marketed.   The DPA issue may turn
into a significant problem, but I don’t think that Arctic Apple will actually
pose a threat to the market unless the industry allows it to do so by further
fostering the publics fears about GMOs.

Dave Rosenberger, Professor Emeritus
Dept. of Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology
Cornell’s Hudson Valley Lab, P.O. Box 727, Highland, NY 12528
       Office:  845-691-7231    Cell:     845-594-3060
         http://blogs.cornell.edu/plantpathhvl/