From: apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net
[mailto:apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net] On Behalf Of Shoemaker, William H
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2014 9:04 AM
To: Apple-crop discussion list
Subject: Re: [apple-crop] apples and chemicals

I don't know the answer to this question. I'm curious about it too. I also
wonder how much of that kind of work is in development. I doubt anyone knows as
so much of it is done in the private sector.

But I remember conducting trials of pumpkins in the '90s on some
virus-resistant GMO pumpkins that derived their genetic material from a
different species within the cucurbit genus. I believe it was a wild species
that was incompatible for an intergeneric cross. We really need such resistance
but it was withdrawn because of perceived market risk.

Bill
William H. Shoemaker
Retired fruit and vegetable horticulturist University of Illinois
wshoe...@illinois.edu

My question is this: does anyone know how many of the GMO crops/organisms that
are currently approved for food crops actually involve genetic transfers among
widely-separated species as compared to the number of GMOs that involve only
modifications of genes within plants or the addition of virus coat proteins
from viruses that are already commonly found in the plant species of interest?