Latency has little to do with bandwidth; don't let one guide you to a
belief about the other.  You can get the network latency without using
windows ping (which uses icmp packets).  Check out some of the tcp/udp
ping utilities that are out there.

http://perform.wpi.edu/downloads/udp-tools/udp-heart.tgz
http://webscripts.softpedia.com/scriptDownload/TCP-Ping-Download-11907.html

Axton Grams