Our system works for us since the vast majority of issues for faculty and staff
are handled by their distributed computer support groups, where all of the
Incidents are routed first by default.  Almost all of the functions you
mentioned are administered at the distributed unit level, even if they are
hosted on a central service (active directory accounts and permissions,
Exchange mail, disk storage), and are only escalated to the central group when
the distributed group cannot handle the issue.  Even backups and restores are
distributed (local) - the colleges run their own file and print servers, in
their own domain within the central AD system.

The central helpdesk provides the equivalent first line support to all
students, so that is their default routing, and a lot of the centrally
supported system tickets (student email, distance learning apps, etc.) all
start at the central helpdesk for triage anyway.  For anything that is very
specific, and is a routine request from customers supported by more than one
distributed support group (like data wiring requests, which any employee can
enter and all route first to DataComm, then TeleComm), there is a Kinetic
Service Item that directly assigns new incidents to the appropriate central
support group.

BTW, the majority of desktops, especially Windows machines, are deployed for
faculty/staff by their college/departmental IT staff without admin rights for
the end user, with a very wide variety of software packages available to them
as needed.  Since this is very college or department specific (even the OS is
college specific - you won't find any Macs supported in the college of
business, or many Windows machines in visual arts or music), any attempt to
route a ticket for application support centrally will have to be turned back.
We also have a number of colleges/departments in one building, with small IT
staffs, who don't use Remedy for internal ticketing at all.  Their faculty know
to use the Kinetic web to report a problem with the distance learning or
PeopleSoft webs, which are centrally supported, but they generally email, call,
or walk a few doors down to their network manager for local issue support.  We
don't / can't MAKE them use Remedy for internal ticketing, but as soon as any
IT support organization grows to several people supporting users in multiple
buildings, or even on multiple campuses, they quickly move to a model where
everything gets ticketed as an incident, but it is still 98% internal to that
organization.

In our environment, where some groups want a few CTI for reporting but most
groups don't want to have to deal with the overhead, dropping CTI-based routing
made sense; we have always used location-based routing as our primary method,
all the way back to Help Desk 3.  The changes in the assignment processes in
ITSM 7 made it easy for us to just simplify everything when we migrated, and at
this point (11 months in production) we have not found any reason to regret it.
 Maybe if we had BMC Analytics or Dashboards we would see it differently, but
we keep losing the budget battle for those.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/