Thanks for the encouragement, I am indeed tempted to raise it with the server
administrators via a different route as a result. My first attempt via my
manager who has some degree of responsibility with the system just got
stonewalled - I suspect that Web Services aren't used within the
organisation at present and they have no inclination to do so.

Before doing so, I tried 2 things, one was to use HelpDesk_Modify_Service to
see if doing a subseqent modify after create would activate the incident
somehow. The response I got to this was "ARERR [8961] Required element
expected in the input XML document" (actually the element mentioned:
Categorization_Tier_1 was present). This led me to the discussion in
http://www.mail-archive.com/arslist@arslist.org/msg43177.html which is on
similar lines to the issue Harry described.

I also tried making a number of fields in the original
HelpDesk_Submit_Service empty and found only Status and Action needed to be
there to get a response with the incident number. Not sure what to conclude
from this apart that nothing can be inferred about the completeness or
otherwise of the fully populated request I was originally testing with.
Below is the minimal request that I ended up with.

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:urn="urn:HPD_IncidentInterface_Create_WS">
   <soapenv:Header>
      <urn:AuthenticationInfo>
         <urn:userName>Mark.Courtenay</urn:userName>
         <urn:password>secret</urn:password>
         <!--Optional:-->
         <urn:authentication></urn:authentication>
         <!--Optional:-->
         <urn:locale></urn:locale>
         <!--Optional:-->
         <urn:timeZone></urn:timeZone>
      </urn:AuthenticationInfo>
   </soapenv:Header>
   <soapenv:Body>
      <urn:HelpDesk_Submit_Service>
         <urn:Assigned_Group/>
         <urn:Assigned_Group_Shift_Name/>
         <urn:Assigned_Support_Company/>
         <urn:Assigned_Support_Organization/>
         <urn:Assignee/>
         <urn:Categorization_Tier_1/>
         <urn:Categorization_Tier_2/>
         <urn:Categorization_Tier_3/>
         <urn:CI_Name/>
         <urn:Closure_Manufacturer/>
         <urn:Closure_Product_Category_Tier1/>
         <urn:Closure_Product_Category_Tier2/>
         <urn:Closure_Product_Category_Tier3/>
         <urn:Closure_Product_Model_Version/>
         <urn:Closure_Product_Name/>
         <urn:Department/>
         <urn:First_Name/>
         <urn:Impact/>
         <urn:Last_Name/>
         <urn:Lookup_Keyword/>
         <urn:Manufacturer/>
         <urn:Product_Categorization_Tier_1/>
         <urn:Product_Categorization_Tier_2/>
         <urn:Product_Categorization_Tier_3/>
         <urn:Product_Model_Version/>
         <urn:Product_Name/>
         <urn:Reported_Source/>
         <urn:Resolution/>
         <urn:Resolution_Category_Tier_1/>
         <urn:Resolution_Category_Tier_2/>
         <urn:Resolution_Category_Tier_3/>
         <urn:Service_Type/>
         <urn:Status>New</urn:Status>
         <urn:Action>CREATE</urn:Action>
         <urn:Work_Info_Summary/>
         <urn:Create_Request/>
         <urn:Summary/>
         <urn:Notes/>
         <urn:Urgency/>
      </urn:HelpDesk_Submit_Service>
   </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

--

Mark,

Not exactly broken, your code to open the ticket from the
HPD_IncidentInterface_Create_WS form could be perfect.   But if your
HPD_IncidentInterface_Create_WS form was a copy of the
HPD_IncidentInterface_Create with some tweaking for the Web Service,
then it is going to look for an entry in the "Operational Catalog Setup"
form.

Yes, I believe that you are stuck until you get help from someone with
administrative access.  It may be all you need is have them create an
entry in the "Operational Catalog Setup" form and your done. And I think
there is a good chance of that because you have confirmation that an
interface record was created.

If further diagnoses is needed, the Remedy admin will have to do some
filter and active link logging to see at which point the creation of the
HPD:Helpedsk record fails.

Personally, I find it amazing and admirable that you have gone to this
extent to come up with your solution. I'm happy when someone has done a
tenth of the work you have toward defining what they want and working on
a solution.  Hopefully your admin/developer/support person feels the
same way and helps you finish this off quickly.

Harry