From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Doug Blair
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 7:28 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Assigned license issue

**
Bruce, Chris, Kevin, Sean, et al

I can see that it's time for my annual post on this issue.

You're right - LDAP protocol to Active Directory or x500 directories for
authentication is NOT case sensitive, but Oracle usually is.  When a user logs
in with mixed case they are authenticated via LDAP, but their resulting login
does not exactly match anything in the User form's login name field.  Therefore
the user is authenticated, but has only Guest (or perhaps no) permissions, and
since the login name does not match, whatever is set up in role permissions for
the ITSM applications won't be available either.

There is a built-in fix for this.

Add a character field with field ID number 117 to the User form. Name this
field Authentication Login Name.  Add a filter which forces this field to match
the case of your user login name field.  We lowercase all the login names which
will go out to LDAP for authentication, so my filter just sets the field to
LOWER($login Name$).

There is a spartan discussion of what this does and why to use it starting on
page 70 of the Configuration guide in the 7.5 docs. Look for field ID 117 in
the reserved fields section.

Very clever, those Remedy programmers....

Doug Blair