I have worked with both of them over the years and have a fair amount of
experience with both products. There are a number of things that you should
know and prepare for.

I guess the first question is going to be: how deep down the rabbit hole do
you want to go?

Do you have any external integrations which make use of your ARSystem
database? Do you have any import/update jobs (or the like) that make use of
DTS/SSIS (or similar technology) which update records directly? Do you have
any tables that have been exported for use in your database (with vendor
forms) from external sources? Do you have a significant number of reports
that query the database for data, or are you using a reporting server? Have
you developed any applications which use the API to process data  - outside
of the normal workflow (active link, filter, guide) paradigm?

And the big question: Are you planning on migrating your existing data?

Depending on how you have your installation set up and what your
requirements are, a migration may well be a nightmare.

If you switch platforms, the glaringly obvious stuff would be that all of
your reports have to change, you'll have to recreate all of your user
accounts (or your integration to the LDAP/AD), any packages for moving and
updating data that your DBA might have set up, any custom views, database
objects (SPs, UDFs), or API applications become useless and you will have to
redo or retire them.

Be prepared also that the database schemas between the application suites
are different as well.

For example, within the AR System, everyone knows that there are the
"wonderfully insightful" T, H, and B tables to work with with all of the C
columns inside that make an odd sort of sense once you get used to them. On
the SDE side, throw that schema completely out the window because there are
now _SMDBA_._CUSTOMER_ and _SMDBA_.TELMASTE_ tables to deal with. The
"telmaste" table is actually the applications version of an incident table.
The name makes a lot of sense. Go figure. Likewise, each user receives an
account on the database server, and each group that is created automatically
generates an entire series of views for each of the modules. Each group
added, therefore, owns objects within the database.

Behind the scenes, there are many, many differences which should be
accounted for - carefully - before a migration comes to mind and that should
be considered before making a choice.

Likewise, if you have the UT installed in your environment, you will need to
remove it from your desktops. (If your're running just the midtier for your
users to use, this might not be an issue.) The SDE is web based. There is no
desktop client to use (so if you have any desktop level automation going on,
it's now useless also if you move).

Superficially, the two products have some similarities - a ticket is still a
ticket - but that is where the similarity ends.

Finally, if I were in your shoes and they were talking about moving to
another platform (in spite of how much I encourage people to find an open
source solution, a low cost solution with another product, or to write their
own due to the cost of both products and the lack of a developer
subscription) I would ask them if they had crack for breakfast. They're not
talking about an overnight thing with a migration, but rather a blood, sweat
and tears effort that would take months (depending on what your current
implementation is like) to even get off the ground. They are committed to
what they have, and unless their willing to change radically, it's a mute
point.

  _____