Replying to the concise syntax issue in particular: I like concise syntax
up to a point, but when it comes to types, explicit syntax is sometimes
nice (though it would be great to allow the user to choose). Both to make
compilation proceed quicker (possibly), and to make it more obvious what
code is doing when you read it.

One area where working in ATS  actually seems to prevent this is when
implementing a function specified elsewhere. Maybe this is just a user
error from me, but I tried last night to *implement main0(argc, argv): void
*after looking up the types in the ATS2 sources after grepping for a bit,
and was able to do it up to a point: I could do something like implement
*main0(argc:
int, argv): void*. But then, I wasn't able to figure out how to get it
further refined and add *argc: int n *in the implementation view. I guess
this is code duplication to a certain extent, so I don't necessarily think
it is a great style. On the other hand, it seems a bit inconvenient to have
to go look in a sats file to see the specification for a function.