Re: So i've just finished reading neverwhere and its amazing

Hi,

@dark, yeah its weird how Amazon audio description needs to be set up. I’m not sure if it still works, but when I originally signed  up for the amazon  streaming service I was able to activate audio description via the app on my iPhone and the setting was automatically then set on my account for all devices. As for the boys, I’d strongly recommend the series, I’ve just started on season  2, I’m only a couple of episodes in, but the first series was definitely awesome. Not your standard superheroes show, the superhero business is now all owned by a giant corporation, where profits and ratings are more important than the actual business of saving people. So the superheroes are kind of corrupt and not really the heroes of the show. I don’t want to say more and  spoil anything, everything I’ve mentioned  so far you see from very early on in the first episode . the humour  is definitely very dark, it’s also got a fair amount of swearing in it, but its very good and definitely a totally different take on a superheroes  show, but I’d definitely recommend watching it. I appreciate this is totally off topic, but since you’ve mentioned you enjoy sci-fi and mentioned star trek in your previous post, have you ever watched Black Mirror? There is a star trek style episode  in season 4 called ‘USS Callister’, I think this might be one of my favourite black mirror episodes . All black Mirror episodes are totally independent of each other, with completely separate stories, different actors for each episode etc, so you can watch one without watching another. The main character in this episode has recreated a virtual reality world of a 80s sci-fi show (clearly meant to be star trek, but renamed I’m sure for legal reasons hahaha), which is in itself all pretty harmless, but in true black mirror style there is a real nice dark twist to the whole thing. Like I said a great episode and I think as a star trek and sci-fi fan it’s an episode I think you’d really enjoy. This was actually  the first black mirror episode I watched since I accidently started on searies 4  by mistake hahaha. Oh, and love that you didn’t buy the mind trap as it would have been icky smile
@Jayde, yeah I’m a bit dubious of most books which get turned into films or TV  series, which happens a lot at the moment. I think most times the outcome is always disappointing and never quite live up  to the book. A couple of exceptions spring to mind, I mentioned it earlier in the topic, but the film fight club I thought was actually a really good interpretation of the book. the Green mile by Stephen King was another one, I actually saw the film first and read the book second, but I think I actually prefer the film over the book, which very rarely ever happens, especially with such a well known and respected author as Stephen King, another  tv series I really enjoyed was True blood, I saw the tv series first,  due to how much I enjoyed the show decided to read the books since they were meant  to have  an alternative and better ending, and have been reading the book series on and off over the past year or so  since there are a lot of books  in the series and they are fairly light reading. I actually really enjoyed the TV show possibly more than the books, but then they also differ quite substantially from the books. I think like you and dark I’m some what dreading what they might do to the wheel of time series when they turn it into a show, especially since the books are so big and detailed and there’s just no way you can squees  all of a book into a 10 episode series, although on the other hand ,  especially in the later books they are slightly longer than needed and drag a little so maybe the tv series could potentially  merge some of that into a single series, although that in itself could be terrible if done poorly. I think another concern is that being so many books even if they drastically cut out a lot of stuff there would still need to be an incredible amount of series  to fit in the whole Wheel of time story, and I think in this day and age with so much streaming content it’s rare for a TV show to get lots and lots of series unless the show hits superstardom levels, but even then its  rare to see more than maybe 5 or 6 series. One advantage if this isn’t a Netflix series is that Netflix  in particular have a tendency to only air shows for three seasons  and end production after that unless it is a really, really crazy popular show. But I think regardless of whether its amazon or Netflix like I said a concern is even if the show turns out to be an excellent telling of the wheel of time, whether the show will make it all the way to the final book and not get pulled without finishing the whole story. I guess no matter what happens though it can’t be worse than the Wheel of time pilot episode  which came out a few years ago which caused all the controversy  when the company which owned the rights to the TV series /film launched a one hour pilot episode , its cringe worthy, for that alone  if you haven’t already seen it, it’s almost worth looking up on YouTube just to see a truly terrible attempt at a Wheel of time TV series hahaha. . I think there were lots of legal reasons the show got put out to extend the companies licensing rights, as I think if they hadn’t put something out by midnight the evening the show aired completely out of the blue then the rights to the show would have reverted back directly to the Robert Jordan estate, so it was a hastily  thrown together  hour long pilot  put out as an infomercial to attempt to secure an extension to their rights to the TV show/any potential films, either way very cringy watching smile

Paul Lemm