Re: So i've just finished reading neverwhere and its amazing

Hi,

@dark, although I haven’t had much time for films and tv series recently, I normally enjoy watching tv shows and films as much as books. I tend to watch most Netflix stuff directly through the app on my phone since I don’t have enough sight to see the show even on a big tv, and since the app layout is really nice and accessible and  easier/quicker  on the phone than using Netflix on my firestick, if it’s just me watching I’ll often watch/listen via my phone. . I haven’t seen any of the twilight series, but I’ve seen people make comparisons between that and black mirror, I think Black mirror  has a key focus on technology, mainly either on new technology we have now or burgeoning technology which isn’t a million years away  . There’s a lot of nuance in the series as it explores things like how technology often built for good purposes gets used for a darker purpose, or some of the moral implications the new technology puts on society  and how it really is a new world we are entering  with unwritten rules on what is and isn’t acceptable on a moral level with some of this nnew technology, and also how technology shapes us and society too. I realise as I’m writing this I’m probably making the show sound terrible as writing really isn’t a strong point of mine. Needless to say it really is a great series and one I’d recommend for sci-fi fans or people with an interest in technology  and enjoy a show with a darker theme. As for GOT, I’ve watched that and enjoyed it, a lot of people hated the final series, I definitely wouldn’t go as far as to say I hated the final series,  there were some things I didn’t enjoy how they did it, but I think this comes back to my point from my previous post in that trying to cram a whole huge book into a ten episode series just isn’t possible, so you miss some of the finer points of what make the story, but despite that I still enjoyed the series, although will be looking forward to seeing what George Martin does with the ending in the book series (if it ever gets finished hahaha). I’ve seen buffy before, but not angel, actually recently one of the audio description sites put up an audio described version of each of the buffy  seasons, so I think at some stage I’ll probably re watch that as its been a long time and would be nice to watch with audio description.
@Jayde, I agree with you and dark on the Hobbit film, it was a favourite book of mine as a kid, possibly  that or the lion, Witch and the wardrobe were the first fantasy books I read. I was horrified when I found out they had split it into 3 films, as you said that could have only been purely for money making purposes. I did watch the thing just to see what they did with it and for my love of the original book and well let’s just say it definitely won’t be something I’d watch again. Regarding the Green mile, you make some good points, I think for me personally I felt more of an emotional connection to the characters in the film for some reason. Just for anyone else reading this I’ll say not to read further if you haven’t seen the film/read the book and don’t want spoilers. I’m not usually moved hugely by films in general although I enjoy watching them, but I did feel there was some great acting in the film  and although the final scene with John  not much is said  it carries a lot of emotion I think, although I do have to say I was also watching it in a cinema where you could hear a lot of people crying/sniffling  or just clearing their throats at that point in the film, which I guess carries some emotion itself. I think you could also argue that since I knew nothing about the film before I went to see it and it is a bit of a shock ending, that with an ending such as that you can only truly experience it once, as the second time you know what’s coming so it’s less  impactful, so I guess reading the book many years later after watching the film numerous times  that it may be due to the first watch of the film and its initial watch and story reveal/ending may be why I have a preference to the film. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the book too, but it just didn’t quite have the same power at the end for me at least as that of the film.  Also its not a typical Stephen king book, in that its not a horror which is his usual genre , but also I believe   The Green mile the book was actually written and published originally as a collection of short stories and only later published as a full book, so not typical in that fashion either. Again, though like I said I didn’t dislike the book and enjoyed reading it especially to get a little more detail  around the characters, plus some extra story content which was removed from the film which you can often find in a book that you just can’t squash into an hour and a half film.

Paul Lemm