Re: So i've just finished reading neverwhere and its amazing

The fact that they had to split a three-hundred-and-something-page book into several movies is disgusting. I refuse to watch The Hobbit on general principles for just that reason. To me, at least, this was a money-making scheme, no more and no less. You want to make a 140-minute full feature of The Hobbit? Sure, go for it. You want to make multiple movies out of it? You're going to draw out battle scenes to ludicrous lengths, add in new characters and new interactions that do not strictly have to be there, and otherwise try to wow the crowd. I'm just not buying.

I preferred the novelization of The Green Mile overall, but the movie was extremely good. The difference isn't huge, but I feel some important nuance from book to movie was lost. For instance, in the novel, Hal's wife Melinda swears and says some awful things while she's got her brain tumour, and is otherwise characterized as someone with a fairly sweet nature, someone who would never say such things. While I don't think this was absolutely integral to the story, I think it was interesting and helped add a touch more depth. I also don't recall Paul actually finding out that John was innocent; I might be misremembering this, but I feel like they abbreviated or even cut off the whole side story where Paul easily discovers all the circumstantial evidence used to convict Coffey. I thought this was a great way to show the casual racism of the time, and also a great way to show the way the legal system was broken in those days, and how powerless someone might feel. I also miss Brad Dolan; again, not a vital character, but someone that would have slightly enriched Pauls' nursing-home life and how his experiences changed him and all that. Like I say, none of these damned the movie; it's still very, very good. I just like the book a wee bit more, because the movie didn't do anything that the book didn't, and it left out a few extra bits that I think provided a slightly fuller, deeper picture and world to inhabit for awhile.