Vincent Lefevre <vincent-o...@vinc17.net> wrote:
 |On 2016-09-09 10:32:10 -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:
 |> So since the whole reason for the interpretation is that the wording was
 |> bad and shells behaved differently, there can't be any conclusions
 |> drawn from it.  It's a defect in the standard.  However...

 |I cannot see in Issue 7 how they are supposed to be special here.
 |And
 |
 |  http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=221
 |
 |doesn't seem to change anything. At least, they are *not* special
 |in dash 0.5.8-2.3 and in BusyBox v1.22.1 sh (ash):
 |
 |$ foo=abcdef; echo "${foo#'ab'}"
 |abcdef
 |
 |but the other shells regard them as special:
 |
 |$ foo=abcdef; echo "${foo#'ab'}"
 |cdef
 |
 |So, is this also unspecified like double quotes? Or should it
 |be specified that they are special, in which case, dash / ash
 |are buggy?

As petty as i am, to me it seems overly complicated and, note
this, inconsistent to add $() in order to get around overly
complicated quoting rules in ``, and then _not_ adjusting ${} for
a better future but introducing new wording that is (a) not the
default behaviour of most shells and (b) adds even more exceptions
etc.

I would follow the didactic of this thread and vote for what seems
to be a sane thing to me, and that is that we should end up with
a cleaner, not with a more complicated solution in the future.

--steffen