On 2016-09-09 10:32:10 -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:
> So since the whole reason for the interpretation is that the wording was
> bad and shells behaved differently, there can't be any conclusions
> drawn from it.  It's a defect in the standard.  However...
>
> The text in issue 8 was supposed to capture the original intent of issue 7,
> even if the text in issue 7 didn't do a good job of expressing it.  If you
> believe this, the construct is unspecified.

OK. But if this was a defect in the standard, shouldn't the correction
(at least some minimal correction) have been done in an Issue 7 TC?

> > And one also has:
> >
> >     "For the four varieties of parameter expansion that provide for
> >     substring processing (see [xref to 2.6.2 Parameter Expansion]),
> >     within the string of characters from an enclosed "${" to the
> >     matching '}', the double-quotes within which the expansion occurs
> >     shall have no effect on the handling of any special characters."
> >
> > There's no unspecified behavior concerning the double quotes.
> > So, what about the following?
> >
> >   echo "${foo#'a"b'"}"
>
> In this case, it seems to me that the single quotes are special, [...]

I cannot see in Issue 7 how they are supposed to be special here.
And

  http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=221

doesn't seem to change anything. At least, they are *not* special
in dash 0.5.8-2.3 and in BusyBox v1.22.1 sh (ash):

$ foo=abcdef; echo "${foo#'ab'}"
abcdef

but the other shells regard them as special:

$ foo=abcdef; echo "${foo#'ab'}"
cdef

So, is this also unspecified like double quotes? Or should it
be specified that they are special, in which case, dash / ash
are buggy?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>