This is probably Captain Obvious speaking, but in the C standard, I find the
concept of -- sequentially applied -- Translation Phases (i.e., Trigraph
elimination, backslash newline elimination, preprocessing tokenization,
preprocessing, ...) quite illuminating.

As the Bourne Shell source code posted earlier showed, that implementation did
not clearly separate the phases: a character with its high-bit set was quoted
for all further purposes.

Perhaps something similar to translation phases could help here.

Konrad