My Protestant grandmother is buried in a cemetery in Boston (Mass.) and another 
lady is buried on top of her. The other lady's name is on the tombstone.
- Shirl -


________________________________
From: Liliana Harris <[email protected]>
To: [email protected] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:22 PM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Bizarre...but is it true?



>From all the responses, I can see I've lived a limited life--at least in terms 
>of burial customs! Thank you for the history lesson--truly. I love learning 
>new facts like this. You can be sure I'll contribute what you wrote at some 
>dinner party soon...and impress everyone with my new-found knowledge.

Liliana

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:32:24 PM UTC-7, Herb wrote:
Yes it's true. I have lived and travelled to dozens of countries and this 
practice is  common all over the world. There isn't enough room for all the 
bodies. My grandfather died in Terceira and was buried there in 1940, aged 40. 
When I lived in Terceira I went to the cemeteries to search for his headstone 
or some information on him and found out his bones had been removed 7 years 
after the burial. In Terceira it was 7 years I don't know about the other 
islands. In Guam I think it was 11 years after burial when I lived there. When 
I lived in the UK they leased plots for a period of 25 50 or 99 years. It's the 
same in Australia. Paris and Rome have famous ossuaries and catacombs
-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that 
says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to