Thanks for the explanation João. I will redo my gedcom.
Tish

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 4:36 AM, João Ventura <[email protected]> wrote:

> Cheri,
>
> When I export anonymized information for the living in a GEDCOM, there's
> no 'flag' saying: "please mark this private", which FTDNA can then toggle
> to make public again.
>
> It goes out like this:
>
> 0 INDI I02
> 1 NAME [Living] /Sousa/
> 2 GIVN [Living]
> 2 SURN Sousa
> 1 FAMS F01
> 2 FAMC F02
>
> That's all there is to it, the full entry for that individual. There's no
> way that anyone can ever toggle that info to get the info I wanted private
> (like birthdates). Since it's never there in the first place. As it should
> never be. If it's information that you deem private enough, it should never
> leave your PC. Exporting it with all details, and then trusting a third
> party (in this case FTDNA) to keep that info hidden is asking for trouble.
> They may have problems in their software, and your data will be exposed to
> others. Your password may be easy to guess and someone could try to hack
> into your account (just ask all the celebrities that had their nude
> pictures published on the Internet recently). A disgruntled employee may
> keep a copy of the database and release it to the public when they leave
> the company (yes, I trust that FTDNA has checks in place to prevent that,
> but still...).
>
> João Ventura
> http://tombo.pt/en
>
> On Monday, 15 September 2014 21:25:59 UTC+2, Cheri Mello wrote:
>>
>> Joao C. Ventura (Tombo guy) can explain it better.  It's not FTDNA.  It's
>> the way computer programming works.
>>
>> If you tell a computer program to do something (in this case, hide a
>> birthdate), and then you take that information and tell a 2nd computer
>> program to hide the birthdate again, we as humans know what we want.  We
>> want to be sure that the birthdate is hidden.  But with computer
>> programming, it only knows 2 things: Off or on (binary code).  So in one
>> program, you turn it off, send it to the other program and turn it off
>> again, it can't.  It can only do the opposite and turn in on.  It's like a
>> light switch.  You can turn it on and the light does not go on (burned out
>> bulb).  You can't turn it on again to be sure it's on.  You can only turn
>> it off and then try to turn it on again. That's what it's like (sorta) with
>> computer programming.  I'm not a computer programmer.  I took a BASIC class
>> over 30 years ago.  Joao (Tombo) can give a much more correct explanation.
>> You can't tell a computer program to do the same thing twice after it did
>> it the first time.
>>
>> That's why I recommend that you just leave the dates in your program ON.
>> Export them out.  It's fine.  Upload it to FTDNA and turn it OFF there.  If
>> you have clean data entry, it will work.  And if you don't like what you
>> see, play with the privacy settings or take your tree down until they are
>> done tweaking it more.  But they won't be able to make it hide a date after
>> you've hidden it on your end.  It just the nature of computer programming.
>>
>> I need to get lunch and go to work.  I'll have to play around in a tree
>> to make a better explanation.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Tish M <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Marilyn, Thank you for your input. I agree with you. Maybe I will do the
>>> same. I guess I just don't like having to manipulate my data because the
>>> programers can't get their act together. Personally, I don't know why they
>>> changed their trees in the first place. I think they just thought adding
>>> bells and whistles would get them more "passengers" people to sign up to do
>>> DNA. I think they should look to their credibility as a DNA testing site,
>>> but I do understand their dilemma.
>>> Oh well...
>>> Tish
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Marilyn Thompson <[email protected]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Tish
>>>>
>>>> I understand your frustraion. So I am only including myself without
>>>> full birth information, then my deceased parents and ancestors to my
>>>> GEDCOM. I am not adding my living cousins (other than those tested) as
>>>> their deceased parents are showing and I figure if someone gets that
>>>> close, they can tell where we match or not at that point. That way I
>>>> do not have to worry about private or not private. Yes it will take me
>>>> a little more to prepare the GEDCOM but then I know what is showing.
>>>> This is my solution until I find a better one.
>>>>
>>>> I do know that if I want to match up to the 2 cousins that I have had
>>>> tested, I will have to include them in my database, but will do it
>>>> without there full birth information (year only).
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Tish M <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>> > João misinterpreted my statement. The breach of privacy isn't the
>>>> fault of
>>>> > the company, it's with the IT's. I am very much a fan of the company,
>>>> I have
>>>> > had nothing but positive feedback from them. The people they have got
>>>> to do
>>>> > their programing are the ones I'm hot at (throw a rotten egg at them
>>>> for
>>>> > me). The "breach" I am talking about is this sort of thing. (They
>>>> upload it
>>>> > to FTDNA and they ask if you want the living to be marked private.
>>>> So if
>>>> > the user says yes again, it is UNMARKED private, because it undoes the
>>>> > previous command/setting/tech thing.)
>>>> >
>>>> > The breach statement is that you have given them your name, your
>>>> parents
>>>> > name and in many cases all of your parents pertinent information
>>>> (date of
>>>> > birth, where they were born, etc.). Much of this type of information
>>>> is used
>>>> > (or used to be used) in setting up bank accounts, and who know what.
>>>> I'm not
>>>> > really saying these things are still used, but this type of
>>>> information
>>>> > could surely be used for identity theft, or some other scam where the
>>>> > scammer has information you have unwittingly provided. They should
>>>> have made
>>>> > sure the program wasn't causing this type of information to get out no
>>>> > matter what you checked. Maybe they should have had a pop up telling
>>>> you
>>>> > what you were about to do by checking private. I'm just frustrated
>>>> with
>>>> > their system and until it is fixed, this is my fix.
>>>> >
>>>> > Tish
>>>> > João, in ways you are right. I can give them anything I want, but
>>>> when I am
>>>> > working with a company (who I trust) I expect that company to act
>>>> with my
>>>> > best interest at heart. In the further I will make my gedcom with my
>>>> > parameters as I want them. I personally don't think I should have to
>>>> do
>>>> > this, but I get your point. I still does not change my stance at this
>>>> time.
>>>> > You say now no one can look at my stuff, this is true, but all they
>>>> were
>>>> > getting was PRIVATE when they looked anyhow.
>>>> >
>>>> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Cheri Mello <[email protected]>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Joao C,
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Actually, FTDNA prefers that you NOT make it anonymous on your end
>>>> when
>>>> >> creating the Gedcom and then to chose the privacy settings when you
>>>> upload
>>>> >> it to their site.
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Many people mark the living private when creating the Gedcom.  They
>>>> upload
>>>> >> it to FTDNA and they ask if you want the living to be marked
>>>> private.  So if
>>>> >> the user says yes again, it is UNMARKED private, because it undoes
>>>> the
>>>> >> previous command/setting/tech thing.
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Tish, I don't understand why you say FTDNA is doing a breach to our
>>>> >> privacy.  They aren't installing anything on our computers. They
>>>> aren't
>>>> >> stealing banking info.  They give us the choice as to what we want
>>>> to share
>>>> >> or not share.  However, their directions about how to do it
>>>> (paragraph
>>>> >> above) isn't clear at all.
>>>> >>
>>>> >> All I know is that the IT/Engineering guys are going to have to wear
>>>> a
>>>> >> suit of armor from head to toe, because there are a lot of admins
>>>> who are
>>>> >> going to throw rotten tomatoes at them at the conference next
>>>> month!  LOL
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Cheri
>>>> >>
>>>> >> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM, João Ventura <[email protected]>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> Hi all,
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> I find it interesting that it's their problem all of a sudden!
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> YOU have uploaded data with private information to a third party.
>>>> That
>>>> >>> third party has decided to apply a filter on that data that you
>>>> don't like.
>>>> >>> Fine, So you decide to filter out everything on the data they
>>>> present to
>>>> >>> others.
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> Have you ever considered that you should have applied that filter
>>>> BEFORE
>>>> >>> you uploaded that data? I'm pretty sure your genealogy program
>>>> allows you to
>>>> >>> 'anonymise' living persons. Just export a GEDCOM filtered the way
>>>> you like
>>>> >>> at the source and you shouldn't need to worry about having FTDNA
>>>> come up
>>>> >>> with filters that suit your taste.
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> João Ventura
>>>> >>> http://tombo.pt/en
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> On Sunday, 14 September 2014 23:55:41 UTC+2, sfig wrote:
>>>> >>>>
>>>> >>>> I have made everything private. Until they fix their problem I
>>>> intend to
>>>> >>>> do so. I feel their system is a breach of our privacy.
>>>> >>>> Tish
>>>> >>>>
>>>> >>>> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 1:41 AM, Cheri Mello <[email protected]>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> >>>>>
>>>> >>>>> I know.  It feels like they released a beta to the public!!  They
>>>> know.
>>>> >>>>> They have a bunch of admins up in arms.  And the conference is
>>>> next month.
>>>> >>>>> IT/Engineering is going to have to go in body armor!  Or they are
>>>> going to
>>>> >>>>> have to search us admins for rotten tomatoes because
>>>> IT/Engineering may get
>>>> >>>>> some!!
>>>> >>>>>
>>>> >>>>>
>>>> >>>>> Cheri Mello
>>>> >>>>> Listowner, Azores-Gen
>>>> >>>>> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das
>>>> >>>>> Tainhas, Achada
>>>> >>>>>
>>>> >>>>> --
>>>> >>>>> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No
>>>> Mail
>>>> >>>>> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this
>>>> group at
>>>> >>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on
>>>> the right
>>>> >>>>> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
>>>> membership."
>>>> >>>>> ---
>>>> >>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> >>>>> Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
>>>> >>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>>>> send
>>>> >>>>> an email to [email protected].
>>>> >>>>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>>>> >>>>
>>>> >>>>
>>>> >>>>
>>>> >>>>
>>>> >>>> --
>>>> >>>> sfig
>>>> >>>> Researching
>>>> >>>> Island: Santa Maria
>>>> >>>> Freguesia: Santa Barbara
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> --
>>>> >>> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
>>>> >>> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group
>>>> at
>>>> >>> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on
>>>> the right
>>>> >>> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
>>>> membership."
>>>> >>> ---
>>>> >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups
>>>> >>> "Azores Genealogy" group.
>>>> >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>>>> send an
>>>> >>> email to [email protected].
>>>> >>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>>>> >>
>>>> >>
>>>> >>
>>>> >>
>>>> >> --
>>>> >> Cheri Mello
>>>> >> Listowner, Azores-Gen
>>>> >> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das
>>>> >> Tainhas, Achada
>>>> >>
>>>> >> --
>>>> >> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
>>>> >> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
>>>> >> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on
>>>> the right
>>>> >> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
>>>> membership."
>>>> >> ---
>>>> >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups
>>>> >> "Azores Genealogy" group.
>>>> >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>>>> send an
>>>> >> email to [email protected].
>>>> >> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> > --
>>>> > sfig
>>>> > Researching
>>>> > Island: Santa Maria
>>>> > Freguesia: Santa Barbara
>>>> >
>>>> > --
>>>> > For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
>>>> > (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
>>>> > http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the
>>>> right
>>>> > that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
>>>> membership."
>>>> > ---
>>>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups
>>>> > "Azores Genealogy" group.
>>>> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>>>> send an
>>>> > email to [email protected].
>>>> > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
>>>> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the
>>>> right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
>>>> membership."
>>>> ---
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>>>> an email to [email protected].
>>>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> sfig
>>> Researching
>>> Island: Santa Maria
>>> Freguesia: Santa Barbara
>>>
>>> --
>>> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
>>> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the
>>> right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
>>> membership."
>>> ---
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>> Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>>> an email to [email protected].
>>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Cheri Mello
>> Listowner, Azores-Gen
>> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das
>> Tainhas, Achada
>>
>  --
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the
> right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
> membership."
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>



-- 
sfig
Researching
Island: Santa Maria
Freguesia: Santa Barbara

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to