Many thanks to Cheri and Linda for your assistance.

Linda, my intent is as much as possible to ensure names and place names are
recorded in Portuguese so I record what is shown on the record and then
bracket the correct name for example the word George will appear in the
transcription as "island of São George (Jorge)" Is seems that during one
particular period in the church records for Santa Barbara, Manadas, that
the scribe uses English spelling for some words such as Joseph is being
used instead of José as an example. I accept your point that our intent
should always be to reflect and respect Portuguese. Obrigado.:-)