----------
Does file/document management have to be done within BBEdit? There are quite a
few file management tools for the Mac that will do all that kind of file
management for you, and since you have choice, you can find whatever tool does
it the best for your working style.

I'd love to know about some of them.

But my suspicion is that if I can't do the organization, categorization,
classification and tagging within the app (ala Scrivener), I'll wind up right
back at my current cumbersome situation. To formally save a document somewhere
- whether it's in Finder or in a Finder substitute - requires a leveling of
extremely varied things. I have so much text serving so many purposes in so
many states of preparation with so many possible destinations that it's hard to
imagine how a formalized file system could apply.

But I'm open to trying. Can you suggest a couple to check out?