Tony,

>surely the whole point about Chi is that you
>cannot retain it; you may 'gather' it but it's only
>passing through.

I am hesitant to completely agree with that.  It
certainly seems like there is a part of the energy
that you keep, and in fact the GrandMaster above me
(teacher's teacher and disciple of the legendary Chen
Fake,who could send people sailing when they touched
him)states that there something like a crystal behind
your navel (dan tien) that you condense your
accumulated chi into.  The measure of your length and
intensity of  practice is the concentration of energy
in this spot.

For me, probably the most significant addition to my
practice (previously Wing Chun Kung-Fu and Chi Kung)
was the focus on gathering and retaining much of the
energy you generate during static chi kung and moving
form (called "nurturing your energy").  I could whip
up strong energy but leaked it away with too much
fajing (explosive energy) and no gathering and
condensing excercises.

On the other hand, there must also be a part of the
practice that attunes you to the flow of energy and
makes you more efficient at channeling (say from the
ether or from the ground or air, depending on
circumstances) energy in an instant.  There, the
concept of "passing through" seems appropriate.

The "parasitical" part of my thought is related to
previous discussion on tying up the energy resources
of a tree in order to broadcast your preps, instead of
building a broadcaster.  And it is a bit abstract.

The acummulating and storing idea may seem
materialistic, but we are material creatures in our
bodies.  I imagine a combination of the two
perspectives (accumulating vs. channeling) result in
the net effects of Tai Chi practice.

Sincerely,
Chris Shade