Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> Adam Jimerson wrote:
>>
>> According to perlsec I need to use it as a key in a hash or reference a
>> substring.  The example given is
>>
>> ,----[  ]
>>  if ($data =~ /^([...@\w.]+)$/) {
>> $data = $1; # $data now untainted
>>  } else {
>>  die "Bad data in '$data'"; # log this somewhere
>>  }
>> `----
>>
>> When I tried it, using the same search string,
>
> What happened then? Show us the code and possible error messages, please.
>
>> all I need is to check for
>> alphanumeric characters to cover the name, email address and a message.
>
> Are there tainted email address and message variables also?
>
>> Is there something wrong with the above search string?
>
> Only you can tell, I suppose...

I attached my code for my program, the error doesn't happen until the form
is filled out.  The error that I get is "Insecure dependency in piped open
while running with -T switch at /srv/www/cgi-bin/contact line 96."  All the
variables that have user submitted content go through the above search
string as soon as the program retrieves it.