Adam Jimerson wrote:
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
Adam Jimerson wrote:
Yea I looked it up and all I needed to do was add \s for whitespaces,

Which would also allow for newlines. That sounds dangerous to me, and is an example why it's not a good idea to write your own code, that allows the world to submit data to your system, before you really know what you are doing.

How would I allow for spaces but not newlines

By including a space in the regex, just as Mike showed you in another reply.
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.beginners.cgi/2009/01/msg13364.html

This is the reason that I am doing it so I can learn, I learn better by doing so by doing this and making mistakes (and fixing them) is a lot better for me than just reading about it. Sorry but reusing code from the CPAN is nice, but doesn't really help me learn.

It depends on what it is you want to learn. In any case, a program with which you invite the world to submit things to your system is not a good learning environment.

This list is rather quiet, but make that comment on the beginners list, and you'll see what I mean. ;-)

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson