On 21 Jan 2002 21:44:52 -0800
Jason Chu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's not Xinerama support per-se, it's more like Xinerama awareness.
>
> I can understand your concerns with adding artifical boundaries in
> Blackbox but there is a problem when Blackbox decides to pop up a
> window in a part of my screen that doesn't exist (it can do that
> if the situation is right: I have two screens with two different
> resolutions and on the screen with the smaller resolution I have a
> window that's bottom bar is at the border where the screen no longer
> exists. Suddenly I have a window that I can't see or get to, but
> Blackbox tells me it's there). At the same time it is very difficult
> to read menus across screens and windows shouldn't be popped up
> across displays either.
>
> Personally I believe a window manager should be smart enough to
> place windows properly, artifically calculated or not.

By the way, using my proposed SmartPlacement algorithm, it is possible
to add a bit of Xinerama awareness very easily.

The algorithm starts out with one rectangle of the screen's size, but
you could it very easily make start out with two (or more) rectangles
of the both screen's sizes.

Also the maximize code would have to be made Xinerama aware
(optionally?).

Personally I don't care much of the menu placement etc being made
Xinerama aware.

just my ¤ 0.02 :)

PS My proposed smartplacement algorithm lives at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wbsoft/linux/projects/docs/SmartPlacement.tar.gz

It's a lyx and PS file. Sorry for no HTML, but i have no tex->html
converter installed right now.

--
Wilbert Berendsen (http://www.xs4all.nl/~wbsoft/)