Hi all,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018, dueff...@uwe-dueffert.de wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:

After the clang build (probably) fails, can you try commenting out
ac_add_options --with-system-icu
Thanks, that's it, at least for me: Build fails with system icu4c-63.1, succeeds without --with-system-icu, and succeeds as well with system icu4c-62.1 .
Worked for the moment, but wasn't really a solution. So I waited for firefox-63.0.1, but that did not change anything. Then I digged for the source of the problem - and it is rather easy:

The relevant difference between icu-62.1 and icu-63.1 is that the latter started to have "checkImpl" in their public headers. Which conflicts with some completely different "checkImpl" in Firefox.

The usage of "checkImpl" in Firefox is pretty limited and I can easiely get Firefox-63 to build and work fine with system icu-63.1 by applying:
sed -e 's/checkImpl/checkFFImpl/g' -i js/src/vm/JSContext*.h

I have no clue what upstream thinks about that, but my gut feeling is that "checkImpl" sounds way too general to be exported like that. So I suppose it's icu which would need some fixing, but as I can't guess their intention (or its consequences), it's way easier for me to just patch Firefox to build.

I'd appreciate if someone more confident would report that at either upstream project...

Uwe