On Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 02:18:13AM +0100, dueffert--- via blfs-dev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2018, dueff...@uwe-dueffert.de wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 25 Oct 2018, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
> >
> > > After the clang build (probably) fails, can you try commenting out
> > > ac_add_options --with-system-icu
> > Thanks, that's it, at least for me: Build fails with system icu4c-63.1,
> > succeeds without --with-system-icu, and succeeds as well with system
> > icu4c-62.1 .
> Worked for the moment, but wasn't really a solution. So I waited for
> firefox-63.0.1, but that did not change anything. Then I digged for the
> source of the problem - and it is rather easy:

AFAICS, Bruce's scripts think that doesn't exist, so I'm ignoring it
;-)  Seriously, I'm "up to my arse in alligators" [1] in the perl
modules, so -ENOCYCLES.

But for older systems with older icu it probably won't help - those
maybe need an updated icu, or to continue to use the shipped icu.

And I haven't yet had time to look at FF64-beta, so no idea if that
has moved to a newer icu (seems unlikely, mozilla like old things
such as Python2, but who knows ?)

> The relevant difference between icu-62.1 and icu-63.1 is that the latter
> started to have "checkImpl" in their public headers. Which conflicts with
> some completely different "checkImpl" in Firefox.
>
> The usage of "checkImpl" in Firefox is pretty limited and I can easiely get
> Firefox-63 to build and work fine with system icu-63.1 by applying:
> sed -e 's/checkImpl/checkFFImpl/g' -i js/src/vm/JSContext*.h
>
> I have no clue what upstream thinks about that, but my gut feeling is that
> "checkImpl" sounds way too general to be exported like that. So I suppose
> it's icu which would need some fixing, but as I can't guess their intention
> (or its consequences), it's way easier for me to just patch Firefox to
> build.
>
> I'd appreciate if someone more confident would report that at either
> upstream project...
>
> Uwe

Unfortunately, I have little motivation to report things to firefox,
it seems they only really care about windows users and I suspect
they regard me as a PITA using odd options and odd hardware (AMD
Ryzen).  And no experience of dealing with icu.

Your suggestion seems a reasonable thing for somebody to try in
BLFS.

ĸen

1.  Edmund Heep in cartoons by Posy Simmonds in "The Grauniad" years
ago, these seem to pre-date gurgle's world view.
--
                        Is it about a bicycle ?