On 04/05/14 11:55, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
rhubarbpie...@gmail.com wrote:
On 04/04/14 15:06, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
rhubarbpie...@gmail.com  wrote:

Yes, I use startx.  My ~/.xinitrc file contains:

/usr/bin/numlock
/usr/bin/fluxbox
I thought it should be startfluxbox.  At least that's what I had the
last time I used fluxbox.  For now use this in ~/.xinitrc:

xterm -g 80x40+0+0 /bin/bash &
exec twm

If I remember correctly, I did test with twm prior to initially posting
the problem.  But I'll use twm for all future testing.

My guess is also xterm.  I replied to a post yesterday that I had tried
rxvt.  That's true, but in retrospect, I believe I brought it up from an
xterm window - hence, not much of a test.

What about xinit or startx?  Xinit is the same size on 7.4 and 7.5 but
startx differs.  I responded to another post that I have great
confidence in my ability to make mistakes.  That is unfortunately true.
I initially missed the libXft-2.3.1-freetype_fix-1.patch in the Xorg
libraries which caused problems with my xclock.  Xinit requires twm,
xclock, and xterm.
startx is a script.  If you go to the bottom, you eventually get to the
only line that means anything:

xinit "$client" $clientargs -- "$server" $display $serverargs

You can edit that file and add just before that:

echo "xinit $client $clientargs -- $server $display $serverargs"

Note in the xterm man page:

xterm [-toolkitoption ...] [-option ...] [shell]

One  parameter (after all options) may be given.  That overrides xterm's
built-in choice of shell program.  Normally xterm checks the "SHELL"
variable. If  that  is  not  set,  xterm tries  to  use the shell
program specified in the password file.  If that is not set, xterm
uses /bin/sh.  If the parameter is not a relative path, i.e., beginning
with "./" or "../", xterm  looks  for  the  file in the user's PATH.  In
either case, it constructs an absolute path.

     -- Bruce

twm comes up, but I still have the wrong prompt and can't source.

The output of your echo suggestion is:

xinit //.xinitrc  -- /usr/bin/X :0  -auth //.serverauth.1307
Something is wrong here.   //.xinitrc and //.serverauth.1307 certainly
shouldn't be in the root directory.  Try to put some echo statements in
startx to see what is going on.

Also, when you are in the xterm, what is the output of 'set|grep BASH'?
echo $SHELL?  echo $SHELLOPTS?  echo $TERM?

    -- bruce

    -- Bruce

BASH=/bin/sh
BASHOPTS=cmdhist:expand_aliases:extquote:force_fignore:hostcomplete:interactive_comments:progcomp:promptvars:sourcepath
BASH_ALIASES=()
BASH_ARGC=()
BASH_ARGV=()
BASH_CMDS=()
BASH_LINENO=()
BASH_SOURCE=()
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="4" [1]="2" [2]="45" [3]="1" [4]="release"
[5]="i686-pc-linux-gnu")
BASH_VERSION='4.2.45(1)-release'

echo $SHELL -> /bin/sh

echo $SHELLOPTS ->
braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor:posix

echo $TERM -> xterm