Our other hope is that an update to BGT comes out.
We know (because of VG storm) that some work has been done on it. Maybe
we'll get lucky.

From: "Damien Garwood" <dam...@dcpendleton.plus.com>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 10:59
To: <blind-gamers@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [blind-gamers] accessible game engine

Oh, I thought you meant have BGT as a library. If you're talking about
building a whole new library from scratch, obviously that would take a lot
of time, effort, and advanced programming expertise. Given that I've made a
resolution to try to switch to C++ and I can't even do a basic timer
yet...Let's just say that I'm currently feeling way beyond my depths when it
comes to managing memory and threads, so I'm a complete alien when it comes
to writing audio engines and looking for pathfinders.
As for porting JavaScript libraries to C++. That'll be harder than you
think, since JavaScripts does a lot of the deep memory process for you to
start with. There also seems to be a few different JS dialects, like
Vanilla, Node, Typescript etc.
Those who have had much more experience with other programming languages
than BGT, either because of work or programming classes etc, will more or
less know everything they need to to learn any language and get along well
with it.
Considering I spent the better part of five years parroting from VB6 and
AutoIt code to get something workable without actually understanding
anything, then actually being able to understand BGT to such a point that
I've been relying on that for about five years, it's a lot harder.
1. High level to low level. No more music.play() for me until I can write a
library that can do that for me. Hello multithreading, streams and buffers,
dynamic memory allocation...Ugh. Already I feel queasy...
2. Single click compilation to heavy build manuals. Run Make. Run Scons. Run
blah blah blah. Install this. Delete that. Move /blah to /bleh. Oh, and
we're not going to tell you how to do this in Windows because we're Unix
geeks. If it doesn't work, tough luck squire.
3. Self contained to resolving dependencies. The fact that BGT had all its
resources in one application and could compile in a similar manner,
including pack files, is just astounding. None of that with C++.
4. Difficulty porting. Short of literally getting BGT as a library and
writing a C++ wrapper, there is no chance of porting my literally dozens of
BGT modules straight over to C++ and have it work. That would just be too
much to ask.
So. Looks like I have a twenty year headache sentence ahead of me while I
learn, or at least attempt to learn, as much technical crap as I can
possibly retain in what I currently feel is a rather small and inadequate
brain, and then try to somehow port this mess over.