Hey Mario

On my machine there is a large hole directly under where the boiler
element screws in so that the element can be removed without having to
move the boiler.

The brew boiler is saturated (has no air in it) so it is not possible
to empty it out with steam like you do the steam boiler and then
refill it.

Not sure what the burnt rubber smell could have been apart from
perhaps your pump?
Do you have a rotary or vibe pump?

JohnB