> From: Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The Fool wrote:
> >
> > > From: Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On

> > either.

> > example,
> > >
> > > It's *just* a boycott.  That's hardly "any and all means possible."
> > Your
> > > hyperbole undermines the credibility of your argument.
> >
> > It's more than a boycott, it goes well beyond just being a boycott.
They
> > are not just boycotting the show, they are boycotting those who dare
> > advertise during the show.  They put pressure on these advertisers
and
> > use and means necessary to dissuade them from running advertisements
> > during the show (I am not a fan of advertising).  When you have a
large
> > network of fanatics that are willing to create excessive amount of
bad
> > publicity for an advertiser, they can pretty much blackmail and
extort
> > any major advertiser away from anything they consider, baa-ad.  They
also
> > use other sleazy tactics to attack, this is just one example.  I
think
> > the boondocks example is perhaps a better example.  Last year a bunch
of
> > conservative fanatics got the strip knocked off of a whole lot of
> > newspapers.  They are doing the same thing now.
>
> I may have found one more flaw in your "religious fanatics" argument
for
> the organization in question.
>
> I know a number of people that you would deem to be religious fanatics
> who would be *opposed* to "Sabrina, the Teen Age Witch" on the basis
of,
> well, she's a witch.

Depends on the religious group.  Some will say x, is bad, but not y,
particularly when the author of y was some kind of believer, like
tolkien.  Tolkien get praises, but rowlings gets derision.  I don't see
that the occult aspects of either are all that different.  But some
religious people somehow do.  Did you read the synopsis of 'buffy'?
Notice the word occult?  (This group also supports any and everything
that PAX (a religious channel) shows).

>  (I know someone who won't let her kids go
> trick-or-treating because Halloween is a Satanic holiday.  No joke.)

There are certain denominations that are that way.  JW's, SDA's frex are
extremely against halloween (among other things).

> Yet it is rated #3 in the "Top 10 Best Shows".  I think that if they
> were as religiously-driven as your original subject line made me
> initially think, that show would *not* be anywhere *near* the Top 10
for
> Best Shows.

The same people who give praise to the likes of 'cinderella' or 'mary
poppins' which are the same as any other "occult" movies.

> Now, I don't agree with their pressuring to get shows taken off the
air,
> but I think that there are a number of religious people who aren't
going
> to be entirely on board with this, and a number of people who don't
> consider themselves to be religious who are actively participating in
> this.
>
> Not all crusades are religious ones.

Venn Diagram.  AFAIK religious people are the only ones actively opposed
to the 'occult'.