Dan M wrote:

> Its my understanding that India pretty well
> chose the
> USSR as its patron and the US got Pakistan by default.  Do you know
> differently?

I forgot to add one thing. As far as I know, the US chose Pakistan when
India refused to join its camp. It wasn't enough that we weren't joining
the other camp either.

After that, whenever we needed to counter the US weight behind Pakistan
[especially in the Security Council deliberations on Kashmir], we
depended on the USSR to help us. They did. Probably not because they
loved us, but more likely because our not joining their camp didn't mean
as much to them as thwarting a country that *had* joined the American
side.

<shrug>

Hard to say really. But we needed that help and we got it.

Ritu