--- Erik Reuter wrote:
> Julia Thompson wrote:
>
> > Actually, if you're a woman, there are *much*
> suckier rulers to
> > live under.  (Or die under.)  Saudi Arabia, for a
> biggie.  Iraqi
> > women enjoy greater freedoms than women in almost
> all other Mideast countries.
>
> So is your point that we shouldn't spend resources
> on Iraq; rather we should attack Saudi Arabia?
>
> That does not seem a good plan. For one thing, the
> grounds for attacking
> SA are less. They haven't violated a treaty is a
> biggie; they haven't
> invaded another country is another.
>
> Actually, a good strategy to start some change in SA
> is probably to help
> build Iraq into a democracy with a thriving economy.
> Iraq has a lot of
> oil that isn't being efficiently used. If it were,
> it would take away a
> lot of market power and money from Saudi Arabia. As
> Deborah pointed out
> some time ago, changes in Iraq could destabilize
> countries like Saudi Arabia.

I wonder what will happen in the Arab world with the
current experiment in Morocco?  While a conservative
Islamic party increased its number of seats in
Parliament, more women were also elected (I don't
remember if they reached the king's goal of 10%, or ~
30) - I posted links previously.  How long will it
take for cousins and aunts and
sisters-in-law-twice-removed to hear about this, and
start to think of handling the reins themselves?

Debbi
75+ posts to go...