Dan Minette wrote:

> I'm not arguing that the war reparations were not a bad
> idea...but that
> they were essentially dropped and were thus meaningless. In a
> sense, the
> difference between WWI and WWII was that the winners ran the
> losing country
> for the benefit of the losers for a number of years (with the obvious
> exception of East Germany).  So, the lesson from WWI and WWII
> would seem to
> be "win decisively and convincingly and be very magnanimous
> and generous in
> victory."

Yes, as long as 'the magnanimity and generosity in victory' stays out of
the realm of sheer stupidity.
I mean, look at what happened in 1947/8 and '71 - India won both the
wars decisively and convincingly....was stupidly magnanimous in victory.
So '48 gave birth to the Kashmir problem and in '71 Bhutto declared a
1000 year jihad against India. Right after he came back from Shimla,
before descending from the plane even. :)

Ritu