Erik Reuter wrote:

>In Iraq?

Ahh - too much snippage (for a change)...
I thought we had been discussing Afghanistan as evidence of what the US
could or couldn't achieve post-invasion.

To get with the thread (instead of trailing a day or so behind it...) -
I think Iraq will be different because of the potential rewards.
Countries from around the globe will be falling over themselves to get
involved in rehabilitating Iraq, and given that a very general
assumption is that more open politics leads to a more open economy, they
will be looking for alternatives to dictators (not counting purveyors of
gold plated bathroom fixtures, torture implements, statue carvers and
other beneficiaries of dictatorships of course).

A Dutch company may just buy the place and run it as a corporation like
they have a few small African nations.

Cheers
Russell C.