At 04:23 PM 10/15/2002 -0500 Dan Minette wrote:
>> Dig it again, folks.  The Brits have come aboard, but read their
>> press.  Even THEY don't want this dogwag spasm.  And when the brits
>> don't want a war, something is very very bad about the plan.
>
>So, we have a fairly contemporary example of England not being interested
>in fighting, when hindsight would indicate that a little early fighting
>would have saved a lot of later troubles. That doesn't prove Bush right
>now, but it does indicate that Britain not wanting a war does not mean that
>war is unnecessary and unavoidable.

Exactly.

Balderdash. In 1938 you were dealing with a country that had lost half of its youth in Flanders. That'd put anybody off their feed. And yet, 2 years later they stood up to the biggest bullies in history, all alone. My point stands

Dr. Brin also cites their press - perhaps he is reading the Guardian?
I'll be there in four days, openmindedly looking & asking. All my friends there report that their PM is seen every more as a US apologist.

Personally, I found the steretype of the Brits being more eager for war
than most other peoples to be borderline insulting.

Feh. A spade is a spade. They are there, up front, whenever push comes to shove. It would be insulting if they were oppressive. As is, they are doughty fellows. Admirable.

none of which matters. Fact, there's no proof of Iraqi WMD. None. And if there were, the LAST thing we want is an open - give-em-time frontal assault on downtown-sunni-urban Baghdad. SH won't play his death card. Playing it will CAUSE his death. He wants it in order to stave off death.

Anyone with 3 neurons could come up with a dozen alternate scenarios to get Saddam without triggering his final death spasm... the one and only circumstance when he WOULD use his hoarded WMD.

Choice 1) Listen to our allies' demands to get UN support first, and pay
off the Chinese, the French, and the Russians - in large part with the
resources of the Iraqi people.

Choice 2) Tell our allies that the moral case against Iraq is even stronger
than the moral case against Yugoslavia,

Caramba! Sophistry!

Nobody supports us because there is no urgency. You wave your arms around about nukes... show me the nukes! While you're at it, show me the North Vietnamese PT Boats that supposedly 'attacked" our ships in the Tonkin Gulf.

You are taking the word of a man who admits to have snorted coke, and who has every political reason to say whatever it takes to win an election.

Morality? His father looked the other way while SH slaughtered a million Iranians, Kurds and Shiites. NOW, while things are fairly peaceful, suddenly SH is a demon?

Well, he is, and our allies will listen to a sensible plan. Not this blatant mania.

with the exception that the Iraqis
are not white Europeans and the Yugoslavians never pursued and used weapons
of mass destruction.   As such, we tell our allies that we aren't willing
to horse-trade with the Chinese who are trying to shoot down our plans,
horse-trade with the Russians who just want the loot from Iraq, and
horse-trade with the French who have never been too concerned about Iraq's
nuclear program in the first place as long as they could make a buck.
Gadzooks! YOUR GUYS are the ones flying all over the world giving away the store in order to build a 'coalition' out of allies who want nothing to do with this insanity. How many billions to Kazakhstan? How many Billions to Pakistan? How many billions and billions and billions... when the ONE only ally we'd need, in order to eliminate SH is right next door... Iran.

Worst of all, cozying up to the Wahhabi cultists in Riyadh. Cultists who have killed more americans than SH and Iran combined.

Treason. pure treason.