----- Original Message -----
From: "d.brin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 6:16 PM
Subject: RE: brin: war

> Dig it again, folks.  The Brits have come aboard, but read their
> press.  Even THEY don't want this dogwag spasm.  And when the brits
> don't want a war, something is very very bad about the plan.

I have a hard time accepting  that last statement.  The Brit's didn't want
a war in the early to mid '30s.  It had a chance to stop, or at least slow,
Hitler for a fairly low price early on.  The appeasement of Hitler is the
paradigm example of how not to conduct foreign policy in the '50s and '60s.
Indeed, JFK wrote (or had written for him) Why England Slept on this very
subject.

So, we have a fairly contemporary example of England not being interested
in fighting, when hindsight would indicate that a little early fighting
would have saved a lot of later troubles. That doesn't prove Bush right
now, but it does indicate that Britain not wanting a war does not mean that
war is unnecessary and unavoidable.

Dan M.