On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Jose J. Ortiz-Carlo wrote:

> However, and someone out there must agree with me, *something* happened with
> the Trek franchise after the end of TNG and shortly after "Generations" was
> released.  If I must find hard evidence of this claim, I can mention that
> the popularity of Trek merchandising (Paramount's hottest ever!!) started to
> decay in rapid numbers.  Compared to what it used to be during the heydey of
> TNG and the Trek films, it's basically nonexistent.

I think Generations had the effect of proving that of TNG's cast only
Stewart had any business being on a movie screen.

Of course, by the time ST:TMP came out, the original cast already included
a number of cultural icons - putting them on the big screen just confirmed
that status.  TNG was a popular show, but as you've pointed out earlier,
it was not a cast of iconic characters.

Marvin Long
Austin, Texas
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Poindexter & Ashcroft, LLP (Formerly the USA)

http://www.breakyourchains.org/john_poindexter.htm