At 20:22 24-2-2003 -0600, Julia Thompson wrote:

> "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
> regarded as a criminal offense." -- E. W. Dijkstra:

Ah, Dijkstra.  I saw him on a panel discussion once.  He insisted that all
computer programs should be proven, or verified, before use, and that he
wouldn't use a program that hadn't been.  Then, when pressed, he admitted
not using a computer.  :)

He died recently.  Can't remember which month now.  There was a big article
about him in the local paper.

Edsger W. Dijkstra died at home in the Dutch town of Nuenen on August 6, 2002 at the age of 72. He died of cancer. Dijkstra was survived by his wife, Ria, and three children.

Obituary at the CWI website:
http://www.cwi.nl/cwi/press-releases/2002/Dijkstra-obituary.html

Press release from the University of Texas at Austin:
http://www.utexas.edu/admin/opa/news/02newsreleases/nr_200208/nr_dijkstra020807.html

Jeroen "Life goes on" van Baardwijk