Kevin Tarr wrote:

> At 08:22 PM 2/24/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> >Reggie Bautista wrote:

> > > which has the quote as "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."
> > >
> > > When I was looking for that quote to post it, I found not 1, not 2, but 3
> > > pages that stated it as "...of the incompetent."  And now I can't find any.
> > >
> > > Guess how that makes me feel :-)
> > >
> > > Reggie Bautista
> > > "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
> > > regarded as a criminal offense." -- E. W. Dijkstra:
>
> I didn't see this originally. What did he mean by this, what's wrong with
> COBOL? In my shop they have tested other systems and nothing can perform
> the functions with the speed needed.
>
> Kevin T. - VRWC

I think he was a fanatic about the "right" way to program, and COBOL
probably had everything he thought was "wrong".

Take it with whatever quantity of salt you deem necessary to take such a
statement from someone who didn't use computers.

(I only saw him the one time, but he struck me as being one of those
[EMAIL PROTECTED] sorts of geniuses then.)

        Julia