----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Crystall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: Brooklyn Dad Facing Jail for Shooting Intruder

> On 1 Mar 2003 at 16:53, Julia Thompson wrote:
>
> > "Gary L. Nunn" wrote:
> >
> > > My opinion:  I am a bit torn on this one. I am absolutely in favor
> > > or self defense, especially in the home, but he did have an
> > > unlicensed gun in New York. But I am annoyed that the burglar was
> > > let go on probation (the first time) and now the dad is facing jail
> > > time for self defense. Hmmmm.
> >
> > Hmmmm indeed.  This tells me that, depending on how you feel about gun
> > laws, maybe you shouldn't live in New York.
> >
> > I'll be interested in seeing what the jury does with this case.
>
> Sorry, but this is NOT about self-defence. It's about an unliscenced
> gun. That is the only relevant issue here.
>
> The fact he fired it at someone facing the family was another matter.
> As far as I'm concerned, using an *unlisenced* weapon you've been
> carrying arround shouldn't (and in UK law mostly dosn't) allow any
> form of mitigating plea.

Unless Brooklyn has somehow migrated to the UK, your point lacks something
by the way of relevence. Most places in the US dont have the type of gun
registration cited. Without more information it is difficult to say if there
might have been an honest mistake made in regards to gun registration in
Brooklyn.

In any case, using a law that was designed to fight gangbangers and violent
criminals against a law abiding citizen who was protecting his family. Its a
simple matter of not turning the average citizen into an automatic victim.

xponent
Not A Victim Maru
rob
Realising a form out of stone