From: Gautam Mukunda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Lost in the Baghdad Museum: The Truth
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:31:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Miller, Jeffrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If the Smithsonian lost 33 major items and over
> 3,000 "minor" items, you better believe it'd be
> called the heist of the century.
>
> -j-

OK, so I guess we can make the people of Iraq a deal -
we can find their lost stuff, plus, just as an extra
special bonus, we'll bury their children alive in mass
graves.

Do you think they'd take that deal?  Because by God
you talk like you think they would.

The point he's making is a valid one. He didn't say we shouldn't have liberated Iraq in this thread. When we removed the regime in power we were in charge of law enforcement until a native police force could be reestablished. It is obvious that the museums were inadequately secured and they were our responsibility. We definitely screwed up in allowing the museums to be looted.

You know, looting and even rioting could have been easily predicted when we liberated Iraq. Quite honestly, I was surprised the changeover went so smoothly.

Jon