--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> You mean, you HOPE we will find them. I don't care
> either way. I'm glad
> Saddam is gone, and I didn't object to getting rid
> of him. On the other hand, we
> were obviously not prepared for what comes next,
> either in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Really?  My information - which has done pretty well
so far, hasn't it - says that we were well prepared.
Things aren't great in Baghdad, but, to be blunt, only
someone like you could think that we would go in and
magically all these Ba'athists and Sunnis who had been
benefiting from the regime would be so happy to see it
gone.

> And if we DON'T find WMD - if it turns out they
> really did "cook" the
> intelligence - then what? If they fooled themselves
> - if they sincerely believed what
> turns out to be very thin evidence - that does not
> bode all that well for the
> future, you know. And if they fooled us - if they
> knew the evidence was thin
> but deliberately overstated the case as a pretext
> for an invasion - that
> doesn't bode very well either.

So, Tom, all the statements by President Clinton about
WMD, were those lies as well?  And lots of other
people, for that matter:

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and
consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to
take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air
and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond
effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to
end its weapons of mass destruction programs." -- From
a letter signed by Joe Lieberman, Dianne Feinstein,
Barbara A. Milulski, Tom Daschle, & John Kerry among
others on October 9, 1998

"Saddam's goal ... is to achieve the lifting of U.N.
sanctions while retaining and enhancing Iraq's weapons
of mass destruction programs. We cannot, we must not
and we will not let him succeed." -- Madeline
Albright, 1998

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October
of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retained
some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons,
and that he has since embarked on a crash course to
build up his chemical and biological warfare
capability. Intelligence reports also indicate that he
is seeking nuclear weapons, but has not yet achieved
nuclear capability." -- Robert Byrd, October 2002

"What is at stake is how to answer the potential
threat Iraq represents with the risk of proliferation
of WMD. Baghdad's regime did use such weapons in the
past. Today, a number of evidences may lead to think
that, over the past four years, in the absence of
international inspectors, this country has continued
armament programs." -- Jacques Chirac, October 16,
2002

"The community of nations may see more and more of the
very kind of threat Iraq poses now: a rogue state with
weapons of mass destruction, ready to use them or
provide them to terrorists. If we fail to respond
today, Saddam and all those who would follow in his
footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow." -- Bill
Clinton in 1998

"In the four years since the inspectors left,
intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has
worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons
stock, his missile delivery capability, and his
nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and
sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members,
though there is apparently no evidence of his
involvement in the terrible events of September 11,
2001. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked,
Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity
to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep
trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed
in that endeavor, he could alter the political and
security landscape of the Middle East, which as we
know all too well affects American security." --
Hillary Clinton, October 10, 2002

"I am absolutely convinced that there are weapons...I
saw evidence back in 1998 when we would see the
inspectors being barred from gaining entry into a
warehouse for three hours with trucks rolling up and
then moving those trucks out." -- Clinton's Secretary
of Defense William Cohen in April of 2003

"Iraq is not the only nation in the world to possess
weapons of mass destruction, but it is the only nation
with a leader who has used them against his own
people." -- Tom Daschle in 1998

"I share the administration's goals in dealing with
Iraq and its weapons of mass destruction." -- Dick
Gephardt in September of 2002

"Iraq does pose a serious threat to the stability of
the Persian Gulf and we should organize an
international coalition to eliminate his access to
weapons of mass destruction. Iraq's search for weapons
of mass destruction has proven impossible to
completely deter and we should assume that it will
continue for as long as Saddam is in power." -- Al
Gore, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling
evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a
number of years, a developing capacity for the
production and storage of weapons of mass
destruction." -- Bob Graham, December 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is
seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
-- Ted Kennedy, September 27, 2002

"As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am
keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and
biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to
all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the
development of weapons of mass destruction technology
which is a threat to countries in the region and he
has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
-- Nancy Pelosi, December 16, 1998

"Even today, Iraq is not nearly disarmed. Based on
highly credible intelligence, UNSCOM [the U.N. weapons
inspectors] suspects that Iraq still has biological
agents like anthrax, botulinum toxin, and clostridium
perfringens in sufficient quantity to fill several
dozen bombs and ballistic missile warheads, as well as
the means to continue manufacturing these deadly
agents. Iraq probably retains several tons of the
highly toxic VX substance, as well as sarin nerve gas
and mustard gas. This agent is stored in artillery
shells, bombs, and ballistic missile warheads. And
Iraq retains significant dual-use industrial
infrastructure that can be used to rapidly
reconstitute large-scale chemical weapons production."
-- Ex-Un Weapons Inspector Scott Ritter in 1998

>From :
http://www.rightwingnews.com/archives/week_2003_06_08.PHP#001026

I guess all of those people were hoodwinked by the
Vast Right Wing Conspiracy, right Tom?  It was all a
plot by the Bush Administration, which is so
Machiavellian they were able to trick people _even
before they took office_.  Amazing.  Man, if I had
realized that they were that brilliant before you
explained it to me, well, I probably would have voted
for them even more enthusiastically...

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]