In a message dated 6/13/03 2:16:38 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Why, specifically, could they not go to Israel in, say, late 1949 or
> 1950? Were they forcibly prevented? By whom?

By that point, I think, the Israelis wouldn't let them back (neither would
the Arab countries). And before you start bitching about Israel, keep in mind
that hundreds of thousands of Jews living in Arab countries were expelled from
those countries too and were taken in by Israel - where they instantly became
citizens. As I said, not one Arab country has ever permitted the Palestinian
refugees in their countries to become citizens.

Tom Beck

www.prydonians.org
www.mercerjewishsingles.org

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never dreamed I'd see the
last." - Dr Jerry Pournelle