> I suppose because the leaders of those countries were still trying to
> bring about Israel's destruction, and the Palestinan refugee situation
> seemed to them to help their cause.

That's hardly a defense, as I'm sure you're aware. "We're going to let you
suffer indefinitely and ruin countless lives because we want to commit
genocide."

> I am confused by the ambiguous phrase "the Arabs". Who, specifically, do
> you want to have more blame?

Geez, I mean the Arabs. The leadership of the Arab countries. I don't know
how much   more specific I can be. There weren't any polls or elections at the
time as to who wanted what. The leadership of the new Israel accepted the UN
partition plan; the Arab leaders, who represented the Arab countries at the UN,
rejected it. And no, they were not the elected representatives of their
peoples. The only democracy that has ever existed in the Middle East is Israel.

Unfortunately, if you DID have free elections in a lot of the Arab countries,
they probably WOULD want to continue the war against Israel. Which is not a
defense of either elections or of war.

Tom Beck

www.prydonians.org
www.mercerjewishsingles.org

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never dreamed I'd see the
last." - Dr Jerry Pournelle