From: Steve Sloan II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where are the European hypocrites?
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:06:24 -0500

Jon Gabriel wrote:

> You know, I do sympathize with this point of view, but
> by those standards, the United States belongs to Native
> Americans, doesn't it?

> (....or do you feel perhaps that because they lost the
> war(s), they lost their rights for the land? I'm curious
> about your opinion.)

For both issues... it's too late. I wish early American
settlers hadn't done such horrible things to the native
Americans, but it's too late to change that. The best we
can do now is try to get the survivors integrated into
American society and economy, without destroying their
traditions -- something the Bureau of Indian Affairs has
done a lousy job of so far.

*general agreement*

Have you seen either of Chris Eyre's recent films: Smoke Signals or Skins?

The same goes for Israel. Shortly after WWII, the least unfair solution probably would have been taking a good-sized chunk of land from Germany to form a Jewish homeland, while negotiating with the Middle East world to get them visitation rights to their holy sites. Instead, Europe decided to pay its debt by giving the Jews somebody else's land. It's too late to change that decision now. The best we can do now is try to get a decent two-state solution to work.

I'm unsure this solution would have satisfied the Jews of that time. For hundreds of years, they had prayed that Jerusalem would be returned to them. I'm unsure 'visiting rights' would have satisfied them.

Jon