At 01:36 PM 6/13/2003 EDT [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>One thing that needs to be kept in mind is that groups such as Hamas do not
>object to the occupation - they object to Israel's very existence.

Indeed, it is worth noting that Hamas reacted to an Israeli leader
dismantling settlements (for the first time?) by..... sending suicide
bombers to blow themselves up!

I think that it is utterly clear that for peace to exist between Israel and
Palestine, Hamas must be destroyed.   It is the only way.

I think that it is a huge gambit to try and destroy Hamas from outside at
this moment in history, but they do have a shot.   Hussein is no longer
bankrolling the bombers, Iran is embroiled in troubles of its own, a major
US force is sitting in Iraq, Arab governments are talking tough on
terrorism, and even Yasser Arafat himself has just publicly renounced
terrorism.

Thus, all the cards are in place for pace - if the terrorists can simply be
pushed out of the way.

JDG