At 01:48 PM 6/13/2003 EDT [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> What right did the UN have to tell Arabs how they would be governed, or
>> to take away their homes?
>>

>The land was under UN jurisdiction, that's what right.

More importantly, WHO CARES?

When it comes to discussing the situation in Israel/Palestine, there is
very little serious reason, other than as a purelya cademic pursuit, to
debate the history of the problem.

The truth of the matter is that the *only* solution, right or wrong, is the
creation of a viable, secure, and Jewish State of Israel, alongside a
viable, sovereign, and Arab State of Palestine.

Whether Israel had or had not a right to form itself, anyone who is
fundamentally serious about this discussion must surely recognize that
Israel has a right to exist ow.    Likewise, Israel may or may not have had
a right to build settlements in the occupied terrirtories, but obviously
Israel cannot keep the West Bank and Gaza as non-sovereign colonies
forever.

Thus, when Palestinians fail to talk about a two-State solution, producing
a viable Jewish State, they are demonstrating their fundamental
non-seriousness in pursuing a solution to the current troubles.   And if
the Palestinians are going to be fundamentally non-serious, I see no reason
as to why the US should pressure Israel to be serious about these
discussions unilaterally.

It takes two to tango, and the sooner that the Palestinians realize that
every terrorist attack brings them one-step further from independence, the
better for everyone.

JDG