It starts with the premise that our characteristics are the result of
evolution and therefore altruism must have arise via evolution.  It's like
arguing that the only reason to have a handgun is to commit a crime,
therefore anyone with a handgun must be a criminal.

> But no one altruistic (or pseudo-altruistic if you will) act by itself
> is relevant.  It is the community that, through religion or other means,
> began to codify their behavior and became more successful.  This kind of
> behavior is evident to a lesser extent in lower animals - wolves have an
> alpha male and a pecking order, for instance.  Do wolves need faith for
> their "laws"?

I think we can see this two ways -- that faith is impossible for creatures
that are not self-aware, since they cannot distinguish between faith and
logic, or that they operate entirely on faith, since they have no awareness
of logic!

> My response to imperfect knowledge is to believe that we should attempt
> to make it more perfect.

Someone else answered similarly.  I'm not sure if either of you think it is
somehow contradictory to what I wrote, but it certainly isn't.  It's like
solving any other resource shortfall -- you can lower your dependency on it
while increasing the supply.  It's not an either/or proposition.  There is
nothing about faith that calls for one to stick one's head in the sand.
Behavior like the church's response to Galileo shows a serious lack of faith
in our own intelligence!

> I don't need faith because I believe it is an
> impediment.  I do not believe that there are valuable ideas that cannot
> be understood rationally, con you give an example?

Again, that's orthogonal.  While I would agree that it makes sense that all
can be understood rationally, that possibility is only available to an
omniscient being.  The rest of us don't even have complete access to our own
subconsciousnesses, much less the rest of the universe.  As a practical
matter, we have either have to act with incomplete and imperfect
information.  I'm about to drink a cup of coffee that may be quite
poisonous, but I have faith that it isn't.  That's a faith that I surely
could justify with statistics, but I don't go around doing that before
acting.  Perhaps what I'm exercising is better labeled intuition than faith,
but what's the difference, as a practical matter?

> IMO, gods and religion have outlived their usefulness.  We need to give
> credit to ourselves for our accomplishments rather than share credit
> with what in all probability is a figment of our imagination.

Does giving credit to ourselves eliminate a place for God?  I don't think
it's a zero-sum game...

> If we use
> the word faith it should be in reference to ourselves as in "I have
> faith that humanity can overcome it's differences and expand beyond the
> confines of this one infinitesimal planet.

Again, doesn't that leave room for God?  I can have the faith you describe
and have faith in God.  No matter what we discover, the mystery of the very
existence of things remains.

> And if there is spirituality
> it is the result of many minds with a defined purpose and a laudable goal.

Until we know everything, which seems logically impossible, we aren't going
to know whether or not that's the whole story.

> Even if there is a god, it is irrelevant.

Perhaps, if we choose.  If God exists and choose to affect your life, it
won't matter what you believe -- that darn omnipotence!

Nick