I think some of the arguments in this thread beg important questions.  E.g.,
altruistic behavior doesn't require faith because it leads to success as a
species; success is an outcome of evolution, so altruism evolved.  Is that
right?

The first part begs the question of "success" as a species.  If success is
nothing more than survival (is there another scientific definition?), then
this is the anthropic principal.  The second part (altruism is an outcome of
evolution) is circular, since it assumes that our characteristics are
derived exclusively from evolutionary processes.  Even if true, it begs the
question of the origin of evolution as we understand it.  Like everything
else, evolution would seem to be grounded in the fundamental physics of the
universe, but that doesn't really answer anything about altruism, does it?
In fact, it starts to seem imaginary, doesn't it?

How about if we apply the same reasoning to religious behavior?  It must
lead to success as a species; otherwise it wouldn't have evolved.  One can
justify any human characteristic that way.

I see bigger problems than the logical ones above.  First, nobody knows if
anyone does anything for just one reason, I'd argue -- we never really know
if our motivations are altruistic or not, and it's not a Boolean function!
Clearly, we know a lot of what happens in our brains, so we have far less
than perfect knowledge of our motivations.  I certainly have had flashes of
insight that some of my supposedly altruistic behavior had big selfish
components.  Imagine, for example, a person who is quite certain that
disrupting this community to demand better behavior, who realizes that he
actually is craving the disruption and attention that results (any
similarity to persons living or dead is probably less than a coincidence).

I think the same sort of argument applies to us as a species.  While
evolution may be the mechanism that gave us altruistic behavior, none of us
has perfect knowledge of what behavior in a specific situation will
contribute to evolutionary success.  Without that knowledge, such decisions
cannot be logical, at least in the formal sense of logic.

For me, faith is largely a response to imperfect knowledge.  Although I'd
like to operate as if I know myself, my species and everything else well
enough to remove ambiguity (supervisor-of-the-universe mode), I've only
found peace when I accept that I will never fully understand my own
motivations or those of humanity in general (humble mode, much harder to
stick with).  I have faith because I am convinced that it leads to greater
wisdom than logical processes alone.  This doesn't just mean that I accept a
lack of knowledge, it means that I believe that some valuable ideas just
cannot be understood rationally.

Perhaps this means nothing more than the fact that a society is smarter than
its individuals and no member can assimilate all that it knows, so we are
obligated to accept some of society's teachings on faith or live outside of
society.  Or perhaps it means that there is a God who has perfect knowledge,
to which we have access in a less comprehensible way.  I don't know, but
I've made a choice and while it isn't the most logical, it is the most
life-giving, to paraphrase Rich Mullins.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
Phone/fax: (408) 904-7198